海角乱伦大神

News

Chechnya leader launches tirade against Russian investigative journalist

IPI condemns latest in string of attacks on Novaya Gazeta journalist

Head of the Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov. EPA-EFE/ALEXEY NIKOLSKY

The International Press Institute (IPI), a global network of editors, media executives and leading journalists for press freedom, today condemned the threats targeted at prominent Russian investigative journalist Elena Milashina and the Novaya Gazeta newspaper by the leader of Russian Republic of Chechnya, Ramzan Kadyrov.

During his daily broadcast on聽聽on April 13, Kadyrov聽issued a violent threat against聽Milashina, accused the Novaya Gazeta of spreading disinformation about the Chechen Republic and called on the Russian intelligence agency, the FSB, to stop her and her fellow journalists.

Discussing Milashina, he said, 鈥渋f you [the security services] want us to commit a crime and become criminals, then say so. Someone will take the burden of responsibility and will be punished under the law.鈥

The verbal attack came the day after Novaya Gazeta published an article by Milashina which criticized the measures being taken in Chechnya to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and questioned the preparedness of the republic鈥檚 hospitals.

“Stop these nonhumans who write and provoke my people鈥, Kadyrov said to his 1.3 million followers, before describing Novaya Gazeta journalists as 鈥渆nemies of the people鈥.

During the earlier broadcast, posted on YouTube, Kadyrov also questioned whether a brutal beating of Milashina that happened in Grozny, the Chechen capital, earlier this year actually took place.

“They say the Novaya Gazeta journalist was beaten in Chechnya. But where is the witness? 鈥.. I don鈥檛 believe it,” Kadyrov said.

As IPI documented at the time, on February 7, Milashina and her lawyer, Marina Dubrovina, were attacked by a group of men and women in the lobby of their hotel when they were in Grozny to attend the trial of a local blogger.

鈥淲e strongly condemn the latest threats against Elena Milashina and Novaya Gazeta for reporting on the government鈥檚 handling of the pandemic鈥, Oliver Money-Kyrle, IPI Head of Europe Advocacy and Programmes said.

He added: 鈥淭oo many of Novaya Gazeta鈥檚 journalists have been killed or attacked, some for their reporting in Chechnya, for such verbal attacks not to be considered a direct threat to Milashina鈥檚 safety.鈥

In 2017 Milashina had to following threats from Chechen authorities after she 聽the alleged arrest, torture and murder of gay men in the Chechen Republic.

Rather than stepping in to condemn the threats against the journalist, Russian authorities instead moved to censor her COVID-19 reporting.

On April 15, Novaya Gazeta received an order from the Russian media regulator, Roskomnadzor, to delete Milashina鈥檚 article from its website within 24 hours.

According to media , the newspaper was also referred to the Russia鈥檚 Prosecutor General鈥檚 Office to discuss the report.

Prosecutors reportedly said the article included 鈥渋naccurate information鈥 that posed a threat to public safety 鈥 without indicating exactly which part they meant.

  • This statement was updated on April 16 to include information about the move to censor Novaya Gazeta


Join the fight for press freedom

Become an IPI member. For over 75 years, the IPI global network has brought together journalists from around the world who share a commitment to media freedom. Learn how you can join our community of solidarity and professional exchange, all while supporting IPI鈥檚 mission.

Become a member

Support our work. IPI is at the forefront of the fight to protect media freedom. By donating to our work, you help ensure journalists can do their jobs freely and safeguard everyone鈥檚 right to information.

Support IPI

Latest